Personal Stories: Larry Herweyer

I'm telling the story for my husband, Larry. I was amazed at how many people have gone through the same symptoms and diagnosis in the emergency room. Larry's story has a good outcome - - he's alive. Similar to the other individual's who have gone through this, he went to work as normal. About 9:00 a.m., he was struck with severe chest pain.

He quickly took a couple aspirins and decided to "sit it out" until he felt better. Fortunately, he was working with his brother who noticed that Larry's skin was turning gray. His brother brought him into the nearest emergency room in Royal Oak, MI.

This was about 10:30 a.m. He stayed in the waiting room from 10:30 until 3:30 p.m. when the cardiologist on staff finally ordered a CT Scan. He was in very much pain and it kept progressing down into his stomach and back during this whole time. The ER doctor had assumed he had angina and was holding him there until his pain subsided!

Well, at soon as the cardiologist reviewed the CT Scan, they gave us 15 minutes together before they rushed him into surgery - - indicating that he had about a 20% chance of dying during surgery, and an 80% chance of dying if he elected not to have the surgery.

I was very happy to find this web site and have found it extremely helpful and informational. Most of the information I have obtained about aortic dissections has been through the internet.

Larry had surgery on 7/12/04 - he just had his first post-op CT Scan last Friday and we're awaiting the results. We're concerned, though, because his cardiologist had him take a stress test on a treadmill and his BP went all the way up to 180 before he stopped and advised the nurse of his condition. Obviously, she stopped the test immediately.

So we have a long way to go to find out what Larry can and cannot do. Thank you again for this web site.

Contact Larry

 



AorticDissection.com
Phone: 206-550-7957
Email: brian@aorticdissection.com

  AorticDissection.com
All Rights Reserved

Home |Message Board | Contact me