Personal Stories: Larry Silverman

Hello everyone,

 My name is Lj Silverman, I am a survivor too. My event happened 11/13/00 @ 0815 to be exact. I have been in the emergency field for almost 28 years now, either working in the ER (17 years) or teaching in the San Francisco City College. (EMT program).  I was hired in the Piedmont Fire Dept. (CA) about 1990.I just was starting my day as a Paramedic/firefighter when I suddenly felt very ill.

I asked my partner Jim Andersen to feel my pulse; he took one look at me and asked me to sit down. I can only remember bits and pieces after that. I remember them carrying me down stairs and putting my in the ambulance. They took me to the Summit medical center (3miles). I remember the ER nurses looking very concerned while they hooked my up. I was in frank pulmonary edema by this point and in a great deal of pain.

My entire crew was at my bedside, while my Capt (Scott Bar ringer) called my wife. At this point everyone believed I was having a massive MI. The ER started the ďclot busterĒ protocol.

The ER Doctor grabbed a cardiologist walking through the dept. (my lucky day) Dr Earl Holloway is one of the best they have. Dr. Holloway rushed me to the ďcath labĒ for an angiogram. He was shocked to find that all my arteries were open and without any restrictions. He then saw the dissection.

He paged his buddy Dr Leigh Iverson to the lab. (Thoracic surgeon). After looking at the screen, he prepped his crew in the OR.

I remember saying good bye to Shari and the guys as they wheeled me to surgery. I was drugged, but terrified.

I awoke 3 days later in a fog with tubes, IVís, everywhere. I looked at the foot of my hospital bed to see Scott sitting there. I swear he had a halo over his head. Shari was at my side, I tried to ask what happened, but I was intubated and unable to speak. She handed a pencil and pad to write on. I was shocked at the news.

Dr. Iverson was able to resuspend my valve and resect my root during the 6.5 hour surgery.

Because of all the complications, i.e.: blood loss, pulmonary edema, a mired of arythiumas, he told Shari that my outcome was unknown for the first few days post-op.

Well Iím writing this almost 4 years later. I have frequent visits to see David Liang at Stanford Hospital where they monitor the repair.

I would like to thank everybody for their support during these last few years.

Thatís my story, and Iím sticking to it.

Lj Silverman

PS. 8/1/04, during my last visit at Stanford, they noted a change in my repair.  I am now awaiting surgery in Oct. for a new ascending aorta repair, and new valve replacement. The procedure will be done by Dr. Craig Miller.

Although Iím not looking forward to it, I know it has to be done. Iíll update you post-op.
Phone: 206-550-7957

All Rights Reserved

Home |Message Board | Contact me